Sunday, January 20, 2019

2017-18 School Year (Gradeless Pilot)

The school year started and I was not yet ready to implement what I had learned yet. I spent most of the year continuing research and figuring out how to implement the new model. I was very scared to start it but realized that I needed to. If I was going to try this and do it, I had to just start, which I did in the 4th quarter with my senior class only.

The idea was to have the student submit projects and participate in the feedback loop that is part of the SE2R model. The video and audio production is heavily based on the feedback loop from clients, so I thougth this would be a great enhancement for the students. I was only experimenting so I made the final project a "gradeless" one. The students would meet with me weekly and I would provide feedback and they would take the feedback and adjust their work accordingly. The feedback was meant to help them see how the project could be improved and also provide them with a means to get to a mastery level on the skills they were using in the project.

The end of the quarter arrived and I met with each student and we discussed what they did, what they learned, what could have been improved, what they would do different ad also what number grade they would assign to their effort and why. The conversations I had with the students were very detailed. The students all identified their own learning. The students also could see how their work had grown form comparing the early submissions to what the final project looked like. The students also were very open to this idea and at times harder on themselves than I thought they would be. I was ready to reflect in the summer of 2018 and come back in the fall with a full plan on becomeing a gradeless classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment